It’s no secret that when people hear the word “Idaho”, “potato” is often the next thing to come to mind. Is it the result of years of great marketing? Or are Idaho® potatoes actually different than potatoes grown in other states?
3 Things that Make Idaho® Potatoes Different
- Climate – Most of Idaho’s potatoes are grown on the eastern side of the state where the elevation is between 4500 and 5000′. Because of the high altitude summer day temperatures reach the mid 80’s. Evenings cool to the 40’s. These are ideal conditions for growing potatoes!
- Water – The potato growing region in Eastern Idaho sits at the base of the scenic Teton Mountains. They collect snow – which also make them a great winter playground! In the spring the runoff fills reservoirs and restocks the underground aquafer. This water is used to irrigate the potatoes all season long.
- Soil – The Snake River Plain of Idaho was coated in volcanic dust thousands of years ago. This subsequently created a light soil perfect for growing potatoes. The ash also added a rich supply of trace minerals.
The Idaho Difference
All the growing conditions above create the perfect environment for growing a potato with high solids and low moisture content. Therefore:
- Baked Idaho potatoes are fluffier
- French fries made with Idaho potatoes cook up crispier and absorb less oil
- Mashed Idaho potatoes have a fluffy, consistent texture
The Champagne of Potatoes
Did you know that Champagne is a legally protected, and highly regulated, term for the sparkling wine produced in the Champagne region of France? Idaho® potatoes are similar. Some people think that Idaho potatoes are a variety of potato but the name, which is trademarked by the Idaho Potato Commission, applies to any potato grown in Idaho. While the majority of Idaho’s potato crop is russet, other varieties include red potatoes, fingerling, and gold varieties.
At Idahoan, we are proud that all of our potato products – whether slices, hash browns or mashed – come from our home state. And, of course, all are made with 100% real Idaho® potatoes!