Lighten up this Mexican-inspired dish by using ground turkey instead of beef. With the veggies and loads of spices you get big flavor with less calories. Topping it with Bacon & Cheddar Chipotle Flavored Mashed Potatoes makes it reminiscent of a Mexican shepherd’s pie and adds that one little last kick of spice.
- 1 - 4 oz package Idahoan® Bacon & Cheddar Chipotle Flavored Mashed Potatoes
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 clove of garlic, minced
- 2 tsp chili powder
- ½ tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp salt
- ¼ tsp black pepper
- 1 lb ground turkey (regular hamburger could be used too)
- 1 - 14.5 oz can diced tomatoes with chiles
- 4 oz can chopped green chiles
- 1 cup corn, canned or frozen
- 2.25 oz can sliced olives
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Spray 9"x9" baking dish with cooking spray.
- Prepare mashed potatoes following package directions. Set aside.
- Heat oil in large sauté pan over medium high heat. Add onions and cook until translucent, about 10 minutes.
- Stir in garlic, chili powder, cumin, salt and pepper and cook until aromatic – about 1 minute.
- Add ground turkey and cook until browned.
- Stir in tomatoes with juice, green chiles, corn (drained if using canned), and olives. Heat through.
- Place meat mixture into the prepared baking dish. Top with a layer of mashed potatoes.
- Bake for 30 minutes. Let stand 10 minutes before serving.
Mix It Up
Substitute other great products for endless flavor combinations!