This flan only looks like it was hard to make. Your guests don’t need to know your secret (mashed potatoes!) or how easy it really was.
- 1 4-oz package Idahoan® Buttery Homestyle® Flavored Mashed Potatoes, prepared
- ¼ cup sugar
- 1 can sweetened condensed milk
- 1 can evaporated milk
- 5 eggs
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- Pinch of salt
- 1-1 ½ cups sugar, for coating the baking dish
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Combine everything in a bowl and mix very well with a whisk. Set aside.
- Slowly add the additional sugar to a medium sauté pan, whisking continually until all of it is melted, and a chestnut brown color. Pour the caramelized sugar into individual ½ (4 oz) ramekins, making sure the sides and bottom are covered.
- Once the ramekins are coated with the sugar, pour in the flan mixture.
- Bake the flan, covered with foil in a water bath* for 45 minutes.
- Remove the foil and turn down the oven to 350°F and bake for an additional 30 minutes or until it is just slightly jiggly in the middle. Once done, carefully remove ramekins from the water bath and place in the refrigerator. Allow flan to set overnight or for at least 6 hours before turning out of the ramekins.
- When ready to serve, gently heat the bottom of the ramekins, using hot water to loosen the caramelized sugar from the bottom and sides. You may need to run a thin sharp knife around each ramekin to loosen the flan. Flip out onto a plate and serve. The caramelized sugar will pool around each flan.
Mix It Up
Substitute other great products for endless flavor combinations!