Complexity: Culinary Master
Serves 20 People
Author: Thanks to the Idaho Potato Commission for letting us share this recipe
Serves: 20 beignets
- 1 package active dry yeast
- ½ cup warm water (110°F)
- ½ cup sugar
- 6 Tablespoons shortening
- ¾ cup prepared Idahoan Buttery Homestyle mashed potatoes, cooled
- 1 egg, plus 1 egg yolk
- 1 cup milk, scalded and cooled to lukewarm
- ¼ teaspoons salt
- 2½ cups flour
- 2½ cups dry instant Idahoan mashed potatoes
- Oil for frying
- 1 cup powdered sugar for topping
- Dissolve yeast in warm water, set aside.
- Cream sugar and shortening.
- Beat in cold potatoes, eggs, cooled milk, yeast mixture and salt.
- Sift the flour and dry instant mashed potatoes together, reserving ¼ cup of the flour to use for dusting the work surface.
- Mix the flour into the potato mixture, adding just enough to make a soft dough. Knead well.
- Place dough in greased bowl; cover and let rise in warm place until doubled in bulk, 30-60 minutes.
- Roll out dough to ¼ inch thickness. Cut with a well-floured 2-inch square cutter (pizza cutter works great too) into 2x2 squares. Let rise uncovered about 30 minutes.
- Heat oil to 350°F in a heavy saucepan.
- Putting just a few of the beignets in the oil at a time, fry for two minutes, flip and fry until golden on the other side. Drain on paper towels.
- Shake beignets with powdered sugar. Serve immediately.