These savory potato pancakes can take center stage on the dinner plate as well as for brunch.
Potato Pancakes with Smoky Paprika Rouille
- 1 - 4.1 oz package Idahoan® Buttery Golden Selects® Mashed Potatoes
- 4 tsp oil, divided
- ½ cup onion, diced
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
- 1 cup fresh spinach, chopped coarse
- 1 Tbsp fresh thyme, chopped
- ½ tsp coarse kosher salt
- ½ tsp fresh ground black pepper
- ⅛ tsp ground nutmeg
- Smoky Paprika Rouille
- ½ cup mayonnaise*
- 1 Tbsp milk
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- ⅛ tsp smoked paprika
- Pinch of cayenne
- Salt and pepper to taste
*This ingredient may contain gluten. If you’re targeting a gluten-free recipe option, make sure to check the label.
- Prepare mashed potatoes following package directions, set aside to cool.
- Heat 2 tsp of the oil in a large deep skillet over medium heat. Add onion and garlic and sauté until onion softens and turns slightly golden, about 5 minutes.
- Add spinach and thyme to onion mixture, toss together and continue cooking just until spinach wilts a bit.
- Add onion-spinach mixture, salt, pepper and nutmeg to potatoes and combine.
- Shape potato mixture into ½ inch thick pancakes about 2 inches wide. Set pancakes on baking sheet lined with parchment paper or foil.
- Heat one tsp oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add pancakes and cook, without moving, until cakes are brown and crispy on bottom, about 3-4 minutes.
- Carefully turn cakes and continue to cook until brown on the other side.
- Continue cooking remaining pancakes and add oil as needed.
- To make Smoky Paprika Rouille, whisk ingredients in a medium bowl. Season to taste with salt and freshly ground black pepper. Cover and chill. Can be made a day ahead.
- Top each potato pancake with Smoky Paprika Rouille.