If you’ve ever enjoyed the sweet and salty match up of a slice of cheddar and a crisp apple, you’ll love this recipe – a wonderful addition to brunch or as a side dish for pork.
- 2 packages (5.5 oz each), Idahoan® Cheesy Hash Browns Homestyle Casserole
- ½ cube unsalted butter
- ⅔ cup brown sugar, packed
- 1 Granny Smith apple, thinly sliced
- Optional: ⅓ cup sliced almonds, chopped pecans or walnuts. Onion topping included in Sauce package is optional – your choice.
- Preheat oven to 450°F.
- Rehydrate Idahoan® Cheesy Hash Browns Homestyle Casserole in warm water and set aside.
- Melt butter in pan and add brown sugar, stirring to dissolve the sugar. Add the sliced apple and nuts, if using.
- Simmer on medium low until apples are tender.
- Transfer apple mixture to an 8 or 9 inch cake pan or 8 x 8 casserole dish, lined with parchment, and the sides sprayed with pan release.
- Once Hash Browns are fully hydrated, drain and sprinkle the cheese sauce packets over the Hash Browns. Toss to coat evenly.
- Top the apple mixture with the Cheesy Hash Browns.
- Bake for 25 minutes.
- Remove from oven and let rest 5-6 minutes. Run a knife around the edge of the pan then invert the pan onto a serving plate. Peel off the parchment and sprinkle with the onion topping if you want the full sweet and savory taste.
Mix It Up
Substitute other great products for endless flavor combinations!