If you’ve ever enjoyed the sweet and salty match up of a slice of cheddar and a crisp apple, you’ll love this recipe – a wonderful addition to brunch or as a side dish for pork.
Cheese and Apple Hash Browns
- 2 packages (5.5 oz each), Idahoan® Cheesy Hash Browns Homestyle Casserole
- ½ cube unsalted butter
- ⅔ cup brown sugar, packed
- 1 Granny Smith apple, thinly sliced
- Optional: ⅓ cup sliced almonds, chopped pecans or walnuts. Onion topping included in Sauce package is optional – your choice.
- Preheat oven to 450°F.
- Rehydrate Idahoan® Cheesy Hash Browns Homestyle Casserole in warm water and set aside.
- Melt butter in pan and add brown sugar, stirring to dissolve the sugar. Add the sliced apple and nuts, if using.
- Simmer on medium low until apples are tender.
- Transfer apple mixture to an 8 or 9 inch cake pan or 8 x 8 casserole dish, lined with parchment, and the sides sprayed with pan release.
- Once Hash Browns are fully hydrated, drain and sprinkle the cheese sauce packets over the Hash Browns. Toss to coat evenly.
- Top the apple mixture with the Cheesy Hash Browns.
- Bake for 25 minutes.
- Remove from oven and let rest 5-6 minutes. Run a knife around the edge of the pan then invert the pan onto a serving plate. Peel off the parchment and sprinkle with the onion topping if you want the full sweet and savory taste.