Ready in 1 hour 20 minutes
Complexity: Culinary Master
Serves 12 People
This Gingerbread Trifle with Lemon Curd and Raspberry Sauce is even more delicious than it looks, and that’s saying something!
Gingerbread Trifle with Lemon Curd and Raspberry Sauce
- 1 ½ cups Idahoan® Original Mashed Potatoes
- ½ all purpose flour
- 1 ½ tsp ground ginger
- 1 ½ tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp salt
- ⅛ tsp ground cloves
- ¾ cup buttermilk
- ½ cup sugar
- ½ cup molasses
- ¼ cup 1% milk
- ¼ cup vegetable oil
- 2 large eggs
Lemon Curd: Makes approximately two cups
- 4 large eggs
- 1 cup sugar
- ⅔ cups fresh lemon juice
- 1 whole lemon, zested
- 2 oz butter, room, temperature
- ⅛ tsp salt
- 2 cups whip cream, whipped and chilled
Raspberry Sauce: Can be made a day or two in advance and refrigerated
- ¼ cup sugar
- ½ cup orange juice
- 2 tsp cornstarch
- 2 cups frozen raspberries, thawed
- Pre-heat oven to 350°F.
- In a separate mixing bowl, combine Idahoan® potatoes, flour and the next 6 ingredients (ginger through cloves.)
- In a stand mixer, combine buttermilk and next 5 ingredients, (sugar through eggs) and mix well.
- Slowly add the flour mixture into the buttermilk mixture, and blend.
- Spoon batter into a 9 x 12 baking dish coated with cooking spray.
- Bake for 40 minutes or until a tooth pick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- When completely cooled, cut gingerbread into cubes for layering the trifle, and set aside.
- Combine eggs and sugar in a stainless steel bowl and whisk until light and fluffy.
- Add lemon juice and zest and whisk again.
- Using a double boiler, cook until mixture coats the back of a wooden spoon or reaches 160°F.
- Remove from the heat and stir in the butter. Cool and then store in the fridge in an airtight container for up to two weeks, or can be kept for several weeks in the freezer.
- Combine sugar, orange juice and cornstarch in a sauce pan and blend using a wire whisk.
- Bring to a boil, and add the raspberries.
- Return to a boil and cook until thickened.
- Turn off the heat and cool.
To Assemble Trifle:
- Blend 1 cup lemon curd with the 2 cups of whipped cream using a wire whip.
- Place cubed gingerbread into a trifle dish filling the dish about 2 inches deep with gingerbread.
- Top with about 1 cup of the lemon curd-whip cream mixture and repeat layers ending with the lemon curd.
- Top the last layer of lemon curd with raspberry sauce for garnish, or serve on the side for individual servings.
Mix It Up
Substitute other great products for endless flavor combinations!