Ready in 1 hour 10 minutes
Complexity: Slight Challenge
Serves 12 People
This recipe originally came from one of our favorite Food Network stars, Nigella Lawson. A little alteration here and there (like including Idahoan’s Original Mashed Potatoes) to this wonderfully rich cake made with Coca-Cola and a new favorite was created!
Idahoan Coca-Cola® Cake
- 2 cups Idahoan Original Mashed Potatoes, dry (from the 13.75 oz or 26.2 oz box—NOT from the 2 oz pouch)
- 10 Tbsp unsalted butter (1 cube + 2 Tbsp)
- 8 oz Coca-Cola® (or Guinness for an adult cake)
- ½ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1¾ cups superfine sugar
- ½ cup sour cream
- 2 medium eggs
- 1 Tbsp vanilla
- 2½ tsp baking soda
- 2 8-oz packages cream cheese
- ⅓ cup heavy cream
- ¾ cup powdered sugar
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Coat the sides and bottom of springform pan with nonstick cooking spray.
- Melt cube of butter in a large, wide sauce pan.
- Add cola (or beer), cocoa powder and superfine sugar and whisk until smooth. Remove from heat.
- Whisk sour cream, eggs and vanilla thoroughly until almost a batter-like consistency and add slowly into the slightly cooled butter mixture.
- Add dry Original potato flakes and baking soda. Stir thoroughly. The batter will have a slightly grainy appearance but don’t be concerned.
- Pour into spring form pan and bake for 45 minutes to an hour. Test center of cake with a wooden toothpick (cake is done when the toothpick comes out clean).
- Cool and remove from springform pan. Note: This is a very dark and dense cake.
Frosting: Ice cake once it is thoroughly cooled.
- The cream cheese should be at room temperature. Add cream and powdered sugar and mix in a food processor or with a large whisk. Adjust powdered sugar and cream to ensure a nicely thick frosting that is still spreadable.
- Frost just the top of the cake once it’s “unmolded” and serve chilled. This cake is even better the next day!