Ready in 30 minutes
Complexity: Slight Challenge
Serves 6 People
This recipe for Molten Lava Cake proves that Idahoan® Mashed Potatoes don’t have to be saved for just savory applications!
Idahoan® Molten Lava Cake
- 4 oz bittersweet chocolate, broken into small pieces
- 4 oz semi sweet chocolate, broken into small pieces
- ¾ cup unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
- 4 eggs
- ½ cup sugar
- ¼ cup Idahoan® Original Mashed Potatoes, dry
- 1 Tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp instant espresso powder
- ½ tsp salt
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Liberally spray six 6 oz ramekins with nonstick cooking spray and place on a baking sheet.
- In a double boiler, melt the chocolate and butter.
Alternative: Use a medium size stainless bowl that sits on top of a small saucepan (with water in saucepan) if you do not have a double boiler. Do not let any water get into the melting chocolate.
- Remove from heat and cool.
- In a large mixing bowl beat eggs with hand mixer for several minutes and thoroughly “foamy”.
- Add sugar, dry mashed potatoes, cocoa powder, vanilla extract, espresso powder and salt. Beat a couple of minutes to mix.
- Add the melted chocolate mixture and beat for five minutes. This recipe works best if lots of air is incorporated into the mixture to make the cakes light and airy.
- Pour into ramekins. DO NOT under bake or over bake the cakes. Bake for 15 to 17 minutes. Keep your eye on them; you want them to be molten (a bit soft in the middle), but not too much.
- Let them rest a few minutes before serving. The center may sink a little – don’t worry.
- Run a thin knife around the inside edge to help release the cakes.
- Top with powdered sugar and whip cream.
Mix It Up
Substitute other great products for endless flavor combinations!