This recipe for Potato-Quinoa Stuffed Acorn Squash is a beautiful, plant-based fall dish and a thoughtful offering for the vegetarians at your Thanksgiving table.
Potato-Quinoa Stuffed Acorn Squash
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 3 medium to small acorn squash, cut in half. Slice the bottom cut off so it can sit flat. Remove seeds and strings. You should have six 1-1/2 inch pieces of squash.
- 2 Tbsp maple syrup
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 apple, cored and diced
- ¼ cup white wine
- 1 ½ cups prepared quinoa
- 1 cup kale, chopped into thin strips
- 2 Tbsp fresh sage, chopped
- 1 ½ tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp cumin
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- ½ tsp turmeric
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 Tbsp toasted almonds
- ¼ cup pomegranate seeds, or dried cranberries
- 1 - 4 oz package Idahoan® Classic Mashed or Buttery Homestyle® Mashed Potatoes
- 1 Tbsp shallot, diced
- 1 Tbsp fresh rosemary, chopped
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Drizzle olive oil on baking sheet and place squash on the pan. Drizzle squash with maple syrup and roast for 15-20 minutes or until fork tender. While the squash is roasting, make the stuffing and potatoes.
- In a large sauté pan over medium heat add the olive oil and sauté the onion and apple together until they begin to soften.
- Add the white wine and whisk it around to get the flavor bits off the bottom of the pan.
- Add the cooked quinoa, kale, sage, oregano, cumin, cinnamon, turmeric, and salt and pepper (to taste).
- Stir constantly, heating the mixture thoroughly, about 3 minutes. Remove from the heat and let cool for 5 minutes. Stir in the toasted almonds. Keep warm.
- Prepare the Idahoan® Mashed, following package directions. Keep warm.
- Over medium high heat, sauté the shallot until golden, stirring occasionally.
- Lower the heat and add the rosemary, stirring to incorporate the flavors, (about a minute).
- Mix into the prepared mashed potatoes.
- Spoon about a ¼ (or more) potato mixture into each roasted squash.
- Top with about 4 Tbsp Quinoa Stuffing.
- Garnish with pomegranate seeds or chopped dried cranberries.
- Serve immediately.