Idahoan® has taken a Mexican favorite and reinvented it with this recipe for Mashed Potato Stuffed Chiles Rellenos. Sure, it takes a little bit of work but it pays off big time with this flavorful and unique main course dish.
Mashed Potato Stuffed Chiles Rellenos
Author: Adrian T, Idahoan employee
For the sauce:
- 9 Roma tomatoes, whole
- 1 dried guajillo pepper
- 1 medium onion, peeled and chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, peeled and coarsely chopped
- Vegetable oil
- 1 Tbsp Mexican oregano, crushed
- ½ Tbsp cumin seed, whole
- 1 Tbsp chicken bouillon paste
- 1 tsp salt
For the chiles rellenos:
- 1 - 4 oz package Idahoan® Buttery Homestyle® Mashed Potatoes
- 4 fresh poblano chilies
- 8-10 oz queso fresco, crumbled
- 5-6 Tbsp flour
- 4 eggs, separated
- Frying oil
- Bring a 2 quart saucepan of water to a boil. Add tomatoes and guajillo pepper. Boil until tomatoes are tender, about 10 minutes.
- In a frying pan, cook onion and garlic in a small amount of oil until you see some browning. Set aside.
- Transfer tomatoes to a blender with 1 ½ cups of the water. Add the onion, garlic, oregano, cumin, chicken bouillon and salt. Blend until puréed.
- Pour purée into a saucepan and bring sauce to boil. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Roast the chiles on a hot dry pan or in a 375° oven until mostly blackened on each side.
- Place the chiles in a plastic grocery bag for approximately 30 minutes.
- Peel the blackened skin from the chiles with your fingers; it’s not important to get every bit of the skin off.
- Carefully slice each chile from the base of the stem to bottom. Remove most of the seeds and membranes.
- Mix Idahoan® Mashed Potatoes with 1 ¾ cup boiling water. Blend until smooth.
- Stir all but ¼ cup of the crumbled cheese into potatoes and stuff the peppers dividing the mixture evenly amongst the four chiles.
- Roll each chile in flour and set aside.
- Beat the egg whites until stiff then gently add the egg yolks and mix.
- Place each flour coated chili in egg batter and cover completely.
- Heat a pan with ½" deep oil to medium high. Add chilies two at a time and fry until golden brown, using a large spoon to carefully bathe hot oil on the top of each to brown. Repeat with the other two chiles. Drain on paper towels.
- Spoon sauce onto a serving plates and place each chile relleno on top.
- Top with remaining sauce and cheese.