This potato soup uses not one, but TWO types of potatoes. The mashed thickens and gives creaminess while the scalloped adds texture. The poblanos? Well, they just add a little bit of kick to take this soup to the next level of deliciousness.
This great recipe was the first place winner in our 2014 Soup Contest on Facebook. Congratulations to Kay Z!
- 1 4-oz package Idahoan® Scalloped Homestyle Casserole
- 1 4-oz package of Idahoan® Roasted Garlic Flavored Mashed Potatoes, dry
- 3 poblano peppers, broiled, skinned, seeded and diced
- 3 Tbsp butter
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 32-oz chicken broth
- 2 cups milk
- Salt & pepper to taste
- Assorted toppings – sour cream, chopped green onions, shredded cheese,
- diced cooked bacon
- Broil poblanos to blacken skin. Cool, remove skin and seeds, cut into ½ dice and set aside.
- Melt butter over medium heat in a large stock pot. Add onion and sauté until starting to soften, about 5 minutes.
- Add broth and bring to a boil.
- Crush scalloped potatoes into small pieces and add along with the cheese packet. Cook 30 minutes, or until potatoes are tender.
- Add milk and bring back to a simmer.
- Stir in mashed potatoes and diced poblano and simmer 5 to 10 more minutes.
- Top with assorted toppings and serve.
Mix It Up
Substitute other great products for endless flavor combinations!