According to Bon Appétit, butter chicken was reportedly developed in the early 20th century in Delhi as a way to soften leftover tandoori chicken through the use of tomatoes, butter, and cream. No matter how it was developed, we are thankful for this Indian favorite and how well it pairs with Idahoan® Buttery Homestyle® to make this Butter Chicken Mashed Potato Bowl. The roasted chickpeas are definitely optional but add a nice crunch to the dish.
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 2 lbs boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1-inch chunks
- 1 jar butter chicken sauce, also called butter masala
- ½ cup heavy cream
- 4-oz package Idahoan® Buttery Homestyle® Mashed Potatoes or any other flavor favorite, prepared to package directions
- 1 cup red cabbage, shredded
- 1 cup steamed broccoli
- 1 cup roasted chickpeas, optional (see recipe below)
- ¼ cup fresh cilantro leaves, chopped
- naan bread
- Heat olive oil in a large nonstick fry pan.
- Add the chicken and cook, stirring frequently, until cooked through, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in the jar of sauce and cream. Reduce heat to low and simmer until completely heated.
- Divine mashed potatoes between 4 bowls. Top with butter chicken and garnish with cabbage and cilantro.
- Serve with a side of warm naan.
• 1-15 oz can chickpeas, drained, rinsed and spread on a layer of paper towels to dry
• 2 tablespoons olive oil
• Seasonings such as granulated garlic, smoked paprika, curry powder, or cumin.
1. Heat the oil in a sauté pan over medium heat.
2. Add the chickpeas in a single layer and salt liberally.
3. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the chickpeas are golden brown and crisp, approximately 10-15 minutes.
4. Remove from heat and toss with your favorite seasonings.
Mix It Up
Substitute other great products for endless flavor combinations!