Crab cakes are often on the menu at fancy restaurants but there’s no reason you can’t make them at home. These are super simple and adding mashed potatoes as an ingredient creates a creamy texture with the crab meat inside while panko breading keeps them crispy on the outside. Serve these as an appetizer or pair with a salad for a main course.
- 1- 4 oz package of Idahoan® Roasted Garlic Mashed Potatoes, prepared per package directions
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 2 Tbsp plus ½ cup panko bread crumbs
- 2 Tbsp all-purpose flour
- 2 Tbsp parsley, finely chopped
- 2 tsp lemon zest
- 2 tsp fresh lemon juice
- 1 tsp Old Bay seasoning
- 1 pound cooked lump crabmeat
- Olive oil for frying
- ¾ cup mayonnaise
- 1 tsp capers, chopped
- 1 Tbsp lemon juice
- 1 Tbsp spicy mustard
- 2 tsp fresh parsley, chopped
- Hot sauce, to taste, optional
- Stir together potatoes, eggs, 2 tablespoons panko, flour, parsley, lemon zest, lemon juice, and Old Bay seasoning.
- Add crabmeat and gently stir to combine.
- Shape into 10-12 patties about 3 inches wide.
- Chill on a baking sheet lined with parchment for one hour.
- Make the remoulade by mixing all the ingredients together thoroughly.
- Heat oil over medium-high heat. Cook potato crab cakes a few at a time until browned on the bottom, about 2-3 minutes.
- Carefully flip over and shape with a spatula if needed. Continue to brown on the other side, adding more oil if needed.
- Transfer to a plate and serve with Remoulade sauce.
Mix It Up
Substitute other great products for endless flavor combinations!