There are many variations on the traditional Irish dish that uses cabbage in potatoes. This one has the addition of leeks and garlic. Paired with tender medallions of beef and an equally delicious savory sauce. It takes a little more time to put together but don’t be intimidated because it’s really easier than maybe it looks initially. And boy will your family be impressed when you put this beautiful plate of food on the dinner table.
- 3 Tbsp olive oil, divided
- 4 beef tenderloin steaks, 2 inches thick, sliced in half width-wise to make 8 smaller medallions
- Salt and pepper
- 4 oz package of Idahoan® Buttery Selects® Mashed Potatoes, prepared to package directions
- ½ cup leeks, cleaned and sliced thin
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- ½ head small savoy cabbage, cored and thinly sliced
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1½ Tbsp shallots, minced
- 2 Tbsp all-purpose flour
- 2 cups low sodium beef broth
- 2 tsp Dijon mustard
- 2 tsp fresh thyme, minced, plus more for garnish
- 1 tsp butter
- Heat 2 Tbsp olive oil in a large sauté pan over medium heat. Add the beef in a single layer, cooking on each side until seared golden brown. You may need to work in batches to not overcrowd the pan, cooking each batch about 2 minutes per side.
- Remove from the pan and season with salt and pepper. Cover and keep warm. Reserve pan and drippings to make the sauce (below).
- In another small skillet, preheat the remaining 1 Tbsp of olive oil to medium-high heat. Add the leeks and garlic and cook for 1 minute. Stir in the cabbage and continue to cook just until slightly soft. Gently combine into the potatoes.
- In the same pan used for the steaks, heat 1 Tbsp of olive oil over medium-high heat. Add shallots and sauté for about 4 minutes.
- Reduce heat, whisk in the flour and stir for 20 seconds. Gradually pour in the broth, whisking as you add a bit at a time until the sauce thickens slightly.
- Stir in the mustard and the thyme. Remove from the heat and stir in 1 Tbsp butter. Adjust seasonings if needed.
- Plate potatoes next to two steak medallions and drizzle steaks with sauce.
Mix It Up
Substitute other great products for endless flavor combinations!