It might normally be hard to get your family to eat greens, but they’ll gobble them up in this potato-based soup featuring healthier turkey sausage and a garnish of crispy bacon.
This great recipe was the second place winner in our 2014 Soup Contest on Facebook. Congratulations to Mary C!
Author: Mary C.
- 1 4-oz package of Idahoan® Roasted Garlic Flavored Mashed Potatoes, dry
- 3 slices of bacon, cooked and crumbled
- 3 turkey Italian sausage links
- ½ onion, diced
- 3 cloves of garlic, minced
- 5 cups of chicken stock
- 2 cups of 2% milk
- 2 cups of green Swiss chard or kale, chopped
- Pinch of crushed red pepper (more if you want it spicy)
- Sea salt and fresh cracked black pepper to taste
- Cook the bacon in a large Dutch oven over medium heat. Drain on a paper towel.
- Crumble and set aside.
- Remove the turkey Italian sausage links from the casing and place in the Dutch oven along with the diced onion.
- Sauté until the onion is soft and the sausage is cooked. Add the garlic, stirring frequently for 45 seconds.
- Add the chicken stock, milk, and potatoes.
- Add Swiss chard or kale along with the crushed red pepper, sea salt and fresh cracked black pepper to taste.
- Cook on medium low for 15 minutes or until hot.
- Ladle into soup bowls and garnish with crumbled bacon.