Rustic, simple, tasty. That what you get when you combine Idahoan® Classic mashed potatoes with oven braised lamb shanks, sautéed rainbow chard and crispy parsnips.
Oven Braised Lamb Shanks with Idahoan® Classic Mashed Potatoes, Sautéed Rainbow Chard and Crispy Parsnips
- 1 pouch Idahoan® Classic Mashed Potatoes
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 4 lamb shanks
- 1 large onion
- ½ tsp ground allspice
- ¼ tsp ground nutmeg
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 8 ripe tomatoes seeded and chopped or 1 - 15 oz can peeled tomatoes
- 8 oz crimini mushrooms, cleaned and sliced
- 1 tsp fresh oregano, chopped
- 2 cups hot water or vegetable broth
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees
- Put oil in an oven proof baking dish or Dutch oven. Add the lamb shanks and coat even with the oil in the dish. Bake for 30 minutes.
- Combine the onions with the spices, salt and pepper tomatoes, mushrooms and oregano. Spoon mixture on top of the lamb.
- Carefully pour the hot water or broth around the shanks.
- Turn the oven down to 400 degrees and bake for 1 ½ hours or until the meat is tender, basting occasionally. Add more water or broth if needed.
- When ready to serve, pour sauce over each lamb shank.
- Prepare Idahoan® Classic Mashed Potatoes following package instructions. Keep warm.
- Peel the outside layer of one large parsnip. Using the peeler continue to peel long strips of parsnips until you have used up the entire parsnip.
- Heat 1 ½ cups oil in a shallow skillet over medium high heat. Drop a small amount into the hot oil and quickly fry until lightly golden. Remove and place on a paper towel,
- In a medium skillet over medium high heat, sauté the chard just till it begins to wilt and become tender. Salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve chard alongside the lamb and mashed potatoes. Sprinkle the crispy parsnips over the lamb and the chard to garnish.