Rustic, simple, tasty. That what you get when you combine Idahoan Classic mashed potatoes with oven braised lamb shanks, sautéed rainbow chard and crispy parsnips.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 lamb shanks
- 1 large onion
- ½ teaspoon ground allspice
- ¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 8 ripe tomatoes seeded and chopped or 1 15 ounce can peeled tomatoes
- 8 ounces crimini mushrooms, cleaned and sliced
- 1 teaspoon fresh oregano, chopped
- 2 cups hot water or vegetable broth
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees
- Put oil in an oven proof baking dish or Dutch oven. Add the lamb shanks and coat even with the oil in the dish. Bake for 30 minutes.
- Combine the onions with the spices, salt and pepper tomatoes, mushrooms and oregano. Spoon mixture on top of the lamb.
- Carefully pour the hot water or broth around the shanks.
- Turn the oven down to 400 degrees and bake for 1 ½ hours or until the meat is tender, basting occasionally. Add more water or broth if needed.
- When ready to serve, pour sauce over each lamb shank.
- Prepare Idahoan Classic Mashed Potatoes following package instructions. Keep warm.
- Peel the outside layer of one large parsnip. Using the peeler continue to peel long strips of parsnips until you have used up the entire parsnip.
- Heat 1 ½ cups oil in a shallow skillet over medium high heat. Drop a small amount into the hot oil and quickly fry until lightly golden. Remove and place on a paper towel,
- In a medium skillet over medium high heat, sauté the chard just till it begins to wilt and become tender. Salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve chard alongside the lamb and mashed potatoes. Sprinkle the crispy parsnips over the lamb and the chard to garnish.
Mix It Up
Substitute other great products for endless flavor combinations!