These potato polenta dumplings come together so easily and are great as an appetizer sprinkled with extra Parmesan and served with a dip, as a side dish or as an alternative to hash browns for breakfast.
- 4 oz package of Idahoan® Buttery Homestyle® Mashed Potatoes, prepared to package directions
- ½ cup coarse cornmeal, plus extra for coating
- ¼ cup Parmesan, or other hard cheese, coarsely grated
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Oil for frying, about 2-3 Tbsp per batch
- In a large bowl, combine the potatoes with the cornmeal, cheese, salt and pepper, using the back of a large spoon. Knead with hands if necessary to bring the dough together.
- Divide the dough in two. Scatter extra cornmeal onto a workspace and begin rolling and shaping into a long sausage about 1.5-inch thick. If the dough is crumbly, bring it back together and continue shaping.
- Cut into 1.5-inch pieces, coating the dumplings in cornmeal on each side.
- Heat oil over medium-high heat. Add a few dumplings and cook until golden brown, and slightly crisp on each side, 2-3 minutes. Work in batches to avoid crowding in pan, adding more oil when needed. Serve immediately.
Mix It Up
Substitute other great products for endless flavor combinations!